Wednesday, September 08, 2004

The reluctant minisweater.

I had a couple issues with my minisweater before finally finishing. Here's my little story:

Back in California, the minisweater was coming along swimmingly. "Let me try you on for size," I said to my little sweater. So off the needles she came. Alas! The sleeves had about 2" too much floofyness to them. Hmmm. Strike one.

Sleeves that are too floppity.

Then, I took stock of my remaining yarn... Uhoh. Are the poofy sleeves eating up all my yardage?? I am determined to make this sweater out of one skein and I still have many body rows to go, not to mention the rest of the sleeves! Strike two.

Dwindling yarn supply.

Then! I notice the kicker. There is a previously unnoticed dropped stitch right on the front garter stitch band!!! Only about 10 rows from the beginning! Drats! Strike three...
A mischievous dropped stitch... front and center.

YOU'RE OUT! And out she came. I tried to rip back to the mistake, but the stitches were too much of a pain to pick up. So she came completely undone.
Oh no!

However, I cast right back on and knitted furiously on the plane home and a bit the first couple days of classes with my new improved pattern modifications and voila! She is finished.
Success! Posted by Hello

I really liked this pattern and I loved the yarn. It's so soft and snuggly. It reminds me of tericloth. As for the modifications: I made less increases on the sleeve so the poofyness was diminished and I didn't knit the 7 or so rows of stockinette to lengthen the sleeves. I just started the decreases right away after I picked the stitches back up from the scrap yarn. I like the shorter cap sleeves. :) So there you have it. The story of the reluctant minisweater. I'll have to take a close-up of the button because it matches perfectly. Yay. ♥

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Good story! Loved the captions! I'm glad your mini-sweater worked out in the end. It's great! :)

Anonymous said...

your minisweater is adorable! i'm trying to make one as well, and it looks like we're using the same yarn--TLC amore? i can't seem to work the pattern right; i've started and ripped out at least four times already. do you mind if i ask you a couple of questions about the pattern? i can't get the hang of the increases at the beginning--it says to increase on either side of a marker, so do you just increase by knitting in the front and back of the stitches on either side of the marker, or do you pick up twice in the ladder between the two stitches flanking the marker? also, this looks like it's worked flat, so it should be ok for me to use 29" needles instead of 24", right?

i know i sound like a total idiot, but thanks for your help!

parikha
parikha@sbcglobal.net

Flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from manda.ebner. Make your own badge here.

Awesome Blogs!

A Bit About Me

My Photo
Mandie
CA, United States
I like pizza. And knitting. And photography. This place is to keep track of my antics. Enjoy.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Background by metremade.com.

Back to TOP