Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Knitting Math.

DSC_0085.JPG
This photo has nothing to do with the post. I just couldn't blog without a photo.

Last weekend at the bike party, a lot of people were impressed by my mad knitting skillz. I was turning the heel on the second Retro Rib sock and it was fun to try to explain sock architecture to non-knitters. The most frequently asked question was definitely "how long does it take you to knit a pair of socks?" Hmmm. Well, I'm not sure. I don't normally keep track of how long it takes me to knit in any concrete way. Sure, I fill in the start and end dates in Ravelry, but how much actual knitting time does it take to knit a pair of socks? I guessed 40 hrs as a guesstimate last weekend and then I timed myself knitting Monday night to get a better estimated time.

It turns out that it takes me ~3 min to knit on round on this sock. There are 10 cuff rows + 80 leg rows + 32 heel flap rows + 72 foot rows + 25 toe rows = ~220 rows * 3 min/row = 660 min = 11 hrs * 2 socks = 22 hrs!!! Wow... that doesn't seem like long at all. I was way off on the 40 hrs.

Anyway, I finished the socks last night! On to the next gift knit!

No comments:

Flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from manda.ebner. Make your own badge here.

Awesome Blogs!

Recent Posts

Blog Archive

A Bit About Me

My Photo
Mandie
CA, United States
I like pizza. And knitting. And photography. This place is to keep track of my antics. Enjoy.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Background by metremade.com.

Back to TOP